Swimming pools are a getaway to fun and relaxation, but you have to maintain it to enjoy it. Shocking a pool is mandatory if you want to keep disease-causing pathogens at bay. If not shocked regularly, your swimming pool may become the perfect breeding ground for harmful bacteria, algae, and fungi that can be detrimental to your health.
But how do you know what is the best time of the day to shock a pool? The best time to shock your pool is in the evening or at night. The reason being sunlight may denature the product being used. Thus rendering the entire process pointless, especially if you live in a very sunny area.
UV rays affect chlorine, which is one of the essential products used to shock a pool. However, this does not mean that you should not shock your pool during the day, as you may not be in a position to shock your pool at the preferred time.
Should you choose to shock your pool during the day. Use chlorine stabilizer to ensure your pool shocking bears results. You can also cover the pool as you shock it. To keep the sun rays at bay.
How Long Does it Take for Pool Shock to Work?
The shocking process does not take long; it is the waiting time after the shocking that matters. And this depends on the shocking product used. Chlorine-free shock does not use any chemical to kill bacteria in the pool. In this case, your pool will be ready for use within an hour. Chlorine-based shock, on the other hand, alters the PH level of your pool water, and as such, you should wait at least 8 hours before using your pool.
Should I Leave the Pool Pump on When Shocking a Pool?
Yes. This will help to circulate the product in the water. It increases the effectiveness of the shocking product by improving distribution. Ideally, the pool should run for at least 6 hours while the pool gets shocked.
Can You Shock Your Pool Too Much?
The main concern when it comes to shocking the pool is the amount of product in the water. This could be a result of shocking the pool too often. Or using too much of the shocking products at once. If you perform chlorine-based shocking some indication of over chlorination, include skin irritation, burning eyes, and an itchy nose.
Check this too: Best Salt Water Pool Test Kit
If this is the case, do not cover your pool. To let the sun, disintegrate the chlorine and make it dissipate faster. This will eventually bring the chlorine levels down.
There are other times when shocking a pool is encouraged;
- After heavy rains
- If the water temperature is too high or the weather is too hot
- When the chlorine level in the pool is too low
- When the pool is being used a lot
This is because heat and dirty water are the perfect ingredients for the multiplication of pathogens. As a result of the influx of germs from the rainwater. Or the lack of chlorine to kill the pathogens.
Depending on where you live, moss and buildup from lawn trimmings can leave a mess on your patio since concrete is somewhat absorbent and not entirely solid. It can take on water and subsequently...
Getting the rust out of the surface of pipes is pretty straightforward. However, getting it out from inside the pipe can be cumbersome.One way to do it is by going to the barbecue section in the...